City of Elektrenai, Lithuania
ElektrÄnai Municipality is situated in Vilnius County, in the south-east of
Date of establishment: 19 March 2000.
Centre of Municipality: ElektrÄnai City.
Distance to Vilnius: 48 km.
Distance to Kaunas: 54 km.
The new page of the history of the old surroundings of ElektrÄnai was opened on 16 February 1918, upon reestablishment of the Independence of Lithuania. In December 6, KietaviÅ¡kÄs Parish, which also included the present surroundings of ElektrÄnai, was established. Struggles for the Independence were taking place around. The most severe battles were ones with the Polish in the so-called Å½ieÅ¾mariai front. S.RaÅ¡tikis, who later became the commander of the Lithuanian Army, distinguished in those battles. On 27 April 1919, his battalion had a stay in the surroundings of AbromiÅ¡kÄs and SabaliÅ¡kÄs Villages.
The surroundings of todayâs ElektrÄnai were slightly changed by the World War II.
In the post-war years, participants of the Anti-Soviet Resistance were active. With respectful fear, people were telling about deeds of âGreen Devilâ, Jonas MisiÅ«nas, Cavalry Sergeant Major of the Lithuanian Frontier Police. Youth of neighbouring PeliÅ«nai Village contributed to armed resistance particularly affluently.
In 18 April 1960, it was decided to construct a heat power-plant of 1800 MW in halfway between Vilnius and Kaunas.
In 12 September 1961, upon damming the River StrÄva up, its water started rising and flooded eight lakes. The old islands among which there was the famous Island of Storks where there inhabited the largest in Europe rookery of white storks occurred under water. New islands have emerged. Today the sea covers the area of 1240 ha; its deepest place reaches even 30 meters. To protect against water, over 140 homesteads of villages as well as of other villages had to be moved.
The major attention was paid to construction of the power-plant. The symbolic beginning of constructions was 18 July 1961 when the foundation-stone of the power-plant was laid. The provisional settlement was built. In spring of 1960, constructions of the permanent settlement were started. Stay was decided on the small village of LekaviÄiai, in the southwest coast of Puikinas Lake.
On 19 April 1962, Lithuanian VRE constructions settlement was called ElektrÄnai. The territory of the municipality area is about 50.9 thousand ha, from which 25.8 thousand ha or 50.7 percent is agricultural land. the cities area has a size of 2.54 thousand ha what is about 5 percent of the total area of Municipality. About one third of the area are forests and 6.6 percent are water bodies.
In Municipality, there are 2 cities â ElektrÄnai and Vievis, SemeliÅ¡kÄs Settlement, and 276 villages, with an population of 28.4 thousand people. The territory of ElektrÄnai Municipality is crossed by the highway A1, railway Vilnius-Kaunas.
The surroundings of ElektrÄnai distinguish for their very valuable landscape: forests, hills, and waters â rivers, lakes, ponds. Thus, there are many places where one can be in touch with nature. In the rather small territory, there are 106 lakes and other water bodies, the area of each exceeds 0.4 ha.
The landscape is beautiful: many hills, dips, ravines, due to which angles of the relief vary from 1.5 to 6 degrees.
Forests cover 29.2 percent of the territory of Municipality. Coniferous woods prevail in the territory. Pinewoods make about two thirds of them. Deciduous trees (birches, black/grey alders, asps) take the second place. Oak-woods and ash-woods occupy just few hundreds of hectares. Natural, self-sow forest covers even 77.5 percent of the forestland. Areas of protection of ecosystems take the second place and the ones of recreation are the third.
Soils are not productive and fertile in the territory of Municipality. That is determined by the geological past and diversified landscape of the locality. Thus, agriculture is not simple and easy here. Soils in hills most often contain gravel, clay loam, and sand. Clayey soils prevail in plains. Fertile soils rich with humus are found by rivers, in floodplains, and near lakes. Turfy albeluvisol, little and medium albeluvisol soils make the largest part.
Agricultural land consisting of arable, meadows, and gardens occupy a bit more than a half of the administrative territory. To compare with the average of the country, in the surroundings of ElektrÄnai there are relatively more water bodies, swamps, and swampy locations.
ElektrÄnai Municipality is among these ones, in the territories of which there are most water bodies. In the area, there are 101 lakes. Shallow, little, mostly with swampy strands, and rather slimy lakes prevail.
In addition to natural water bodies, in Municipality, there are many artificial ones: Ponds and lakes are interconnected by systems of trenches, rivers, and streams. Due to specifics of the relief in the surroundings of ElektrÄnai, there are not many of them: 21 streams and about 20 straight reclamation channels.
Water of all rivers is medium (in spring and summer) and totally (in autumn and winter) clean.
Mr. Arvydas VyÅ¡niauskas
Mayor of Elektrenai municipality
ElektrinÄs str. 8,